1) Given the addictive qualities of sugar, the food industry's deceptions are equivalent to those of big tobacco.
2) The food industry strives to get children hooked on sugar before they can develop a critical capacity to tell what's going on (a marketing technique that McDonald's has been perfecting since 1960).
3) Just a tobacco smoke causes lung cancer and many other health problems, sugar addiction causes obesity, diabetes, and a host of other ills.
4) Kicking the sugar habit sensitizes you to the addiction of most people you know--family, friends.
5) Soda often has 16 packs of sugar per 16 ounce drink. Many of the pre-movie ads that one watches at our local Regal Cineplex pitch Coke, Pepsi, Sprite (etc.) to the youth market.
6) Since the body cannot properly process all of that sugar, the pancreas cranks out insulin in reaction, thereby leading to weight gain.
7) Much of what is touted by the food industry as healthy or ethical--fruit juices, smoothies, low-fat cookies, and Ben & Jerry's Fairtrade ice cream--somehow fails to mention the effects of its excessive amounts of sugar.
a) Sugar-coating Science: How the Food Industry Misleads Consumers on Sugar
b) Rethink Sugary Drink
Fed Up Spotlights the American Sugar Epidemic": "43 cocaine-addicted laboratory rats were given the choice of cocaine or sugar water over a 15-day period: 93 percent or 40 out of 43 chose sugar."
Watch: New Trailer for 4K Re-Release of Woody Allen's 'Manhattan' - "He adored New York City... He romanticized it all out of proportion." Park Circus and MGM have unveiled a brand new trailer for the 4K digital re-release ...
11 minutes ago